I put this kit together with the idea that the items in it should serve as many purposes as possible. It is more intended as a SHTF survival kit, hence the cash (as things fall apart) and trade goods (afterwards). Usage is intended in a backwoods bug-out situation for 1-3 months. I usually keep well-stocked bags in my vehicles, but there could be a situation where this is all I have with me.
Contents· Gerber mini-lockback knife – I always have a Swiss Army knife with me, but I wanted a backup that I can beat on without fear of it folding up.
· Swiss-Tech Multi-tool – for the pliers mostly, but it also has screwdrivers and wire strippers.
· Single edge razor blades – scalpels, knife, emergency arrow heads.
· Mini- Bic lighter
· Potassium permanganate – in water balloons to save packaging and provide a little flexibility. The permanganate can be used as a water purifier, antiseptic wash, and to create a chemical fire.
· Glycerine – makes fire when mixed with the permanganate, soothes irritated and chafed skin, and acts as a skin-friendly lubricant when you need…a lubricant.
· Neosporin – again in water balloons to save room. Skin infections can be deadly.
· Knuckle and fingertip bandages – can also be emergency patches.
· Butterfly bandages.
· Fish hooks – besides catching fish, emergency fasteners, suture kit.
· 50’ fishing line – can also be used as thread for clothing repair or sutures.
· 5’ mechanics wire – heavier duty repairs, campfire pot stand or hook, snares, etc.
· 15’ heavy twine – building shelter, bow string, and can be unraveled into smaller threads for sutures, etc.
· Ranger bands – myriad uses.
· Needles – repairs, suturing, for trade in future situations.
· Small pencil – leaving notes
· Candle – hands-free small light, toy or treat for a child.
· $50 emergency cash – bribes, purchasing gear, emergency note paper, tinder.
· 2 sapphires – portable wealth. Worth a few hundred each. Also, a psychological boost – having something beautiful in bad times.
Interested in entering the Pocket Survival Kit contest? Check out the details.
First prize will receive a neo-tribal forged survival kit from Randy Church, an AR-15 Essential Parts Kit and Car Rescue Tool from Choate Machine & Tool, $50 in credit from Shelf Reliance consultant Jade Garn, a bundle of survival gear from OscarDelta & SnakeDr666, a copy of the Doom & Bloom Survival Medicine Handbook, and a $25 certificate from Paladin Press.
Second prize will receive an AR-15 Essential Parts Kit and Car Rescue Tool from Choate, a bundle of survival gear from OscarDelta & SnakeDr666, as well as at least $30 worth of survival books & gear from TEOTWAWKI Blog.
Third Prize will receive a Choate Car Rescue Tool and at least $20 worth of survival books & gear from TEOTWAWKI Blog.